AM2 MFR and other ramblings

Home Forums General AM2 MFR and other ramblings

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dan
    Participant

I notice both Ars Magica 2 and MFR are ready for 1.6.2 / 1.6.4 not sure if that’s a good thing for us or if it will set us back on the restart. Been following King Lemmings thread on the TE updates no idea where he is going with it sounds like he is making another new power type and not using MJ? Watched Coders 4 hour stream from the other day chomping at the bit to try out the new toys. Been playing a good bit of Resonant Rise I can honestly say the new Thaumcraft is quite a time sink and the learning curve is a little intimidating at first but I got the hang of it. Maybe I was unlucky and got a world where the vis nodes are few and far in-between. Enough random ramblings from me…

Jehdai
    Participant

I noticed that the most recent beta of the RR pack uses Skyboy’s fork of MFR.

CoderJ
    Keymaster

I am watching the development of MFR by Skyboy at this time. It’s a tough call – there are still 3 or 4 other ‘active’ developers of MFR and unfortunately I am still awaiting some other opinions on the license (powercrystal’s license stated the mod was open source but others could not claim the code; the question is does this mean the mod can be actively maintained and published by another without explicit permission from him… my own gut is it should be fine but we want to avoid issues).

We’ve included Ars Magica 2 (it took some work, a lot of overlap with other mods) but we are having some massive issues with it. Not sure if these issues are because of MCPC+ or the nature of AM2’s code. If an update is not forthcoming by the end of the week that resolves these we may have to put it to one side for the time being until it stabilizes.

CoderJ
    Keymaster

Also… mDiyo (yeah, you knew this was coming) needs to update TiC/Natura as one of the other MFR’s was used for the API. I can get around it, but I have to check if my method would be okay (it involves deleting a folder from both mods, not sure if distributing modified jars would violate mDiyo’s license).

Welcome to the fun world of mod permissions :\

Dan
    Participant

Sounds like a pain thanks for your hard work Coder. Jehdai and I was talking for a few mins on the server over the weekend and I was excited to go magic heavy early on but after trying out Thaumcraft and AR’s2 on Resonant Rise I’m loosing interest with the new way they vis nodes work and the limited resources for magic spell gathering I think those will create an isolationist attitude where people will want to be out in the boonies alone to protect their vis resources. Would be kinda cool this go around if we did a nexus age with a newbie work shop in it or something similar.

Jehdai
    Participant

Powercrystals just typed up some words, that really isn’t a license. If it is open source then others should be free to do whatever with it, as far as claiming it, perhaps he meant that he should be attributed as the creator, and that you couldn’t claim you created the mod.

As far as mDiyo’s license you can adapt his work: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/ he also has the source code listed under http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ . Go nuts.

On TC4 and AR2. What are we doing to prevent people from becoming TC4 hermits. Doesn’t sound like it is very server friendly. Great for an infinite single player world, but not so much on our 3k by 3k map.

CoderJ
    Keymaster

One thing at a time…

Open Source != Free for everyone to modify and use. Please do not ever make that mistake. Sometimes it’s free for use/derivatives under certain circumstances, sometimes it’s free to compile but not distribute the binaries. Open Source licensing/permission is a complex beast, hence why I took opinion from people who deal with this constantly in regards to Minecraft mods.

Popular consensus we reached was since SkyBoy is a major contributor (he maintained the mod for a while when PowerCrystrals went away before) it was permissible to distribute the binaries compiled by him. Of course, there remains the issue where many mods (Mekanism, Natura, Tinker’s Construct, etc) reference either old or improper MFR APIs. Until this is resolved, I can’t put it in (I did try).

I saw mDiyo’s CC3.0 license, I just wanted to double check it wasn’t ND (sometimes people do that for code). Of course, the point is now moot ;).

AM2 we’re seeing server issues, it may have to leave for a bit. We’ll see if pushing to 1.6.4 resolves them

TC4… I have no clue. I have to look into what others are trying/doing. Magic Bees may offer a way to regenerate vis. Failing that, maybe a mod that hooks the API and “pumps” vis from other dimensions/worlds. Mining Ages have 2 uses now ;)!

Okay, back to pulling hair out.

CoderJ
    Keymaster

One thing at a time…

Open Source != Free for everyone to modify and use. Please do not ever make that mistake. Sometimes it’s free for use/derivatives under certain circumstances, sometimes it’s free to compile but not distribute the binaries. Open Source licensing/permission is a complex beast, hence why I took opinion from people who deal with this constantly in regards to Minecraft mods.

Popular consensus we reached was since SkyBoy is a major contributor (he maintained the mod for a while when PowerCrystrals went away before) it was permissible to distribute the binaries compiled by him. Of course, there remains the issue where many mods (Mekanism, Natura, Tinker’s Construct, etc) reference either old or improper MFR APIs. Until this is resolved, I can’t put it in (I did try).

I saw mDiyo’s CC3.0 license, I just wanted to double check it wasn’t ND (sometimes people do that for code). Of course, the point is now moot ;).

AM2 we’re seeing server issues, it may have to leave for a bit. We’ll see if pushing to 1.6.4 resolves them

TC4… I have no clue. I have to look into what others are trying/doing. Magic Bees may offer a way to regenerate vis. Failing that, maybe a mod that hooks the API and “pumps” vis from other dimensions/worlds. Mining Ages have 2 uses now ;)!

Okay, back to pulling hair out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.